Tuesday, May 19, 2009

those darlins

This is a (not particularly very good) video of Whole Damn Thing by one of my favourite 2009 discoveries Those Darlins

Those Darlins "Whole Damn Thing" from Tugboat Productions on Vimeo.


"I got drunk and I ate a chicken, I ate a chicken I found in my kitchen. Not just a leg and not just a wing, I'd like to let you know that I ate the whole damn thing."

Such a great chorus AND it's a true story apparently, written after Nikki Darling came home wasted and found an old chicken was all there was to eat in the fridge.

I've been saying for a while I think 70s rockabilly is where its at. After the recent popularity of drone and post punk Velvet Underground inspired sounds, ital disco revivalists and d.i.y garage band productions, it is high time for some jangly, rootsy Americana and upbeat harmonized fun! By the way the guy isn't in the band - he's just the rouge, nameless male fill-in drummer.

Pre-order their debut album from their website. If you head to their Myspace there is a heap of dates as they're currently touring America.

I would totally love a live singalong to Wild One:

"I may be the sweetheart you dreamed of all your life, but just 'cos Im sweet don't mean I'm always nice... If you don't want it wild then quit hanging 'round with me, you knew right from the start that's my personality..."

No comments: