Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Letter: Matthew Schnipper

Dear Matthew,

In this week's 'Slept On' you didn't seem like yourself. Not that we've ever actually met, I'm hardly the best judge. But you seemed less, I don't know. What? Less cheery. Less inspired.

I just wanted to tell you that I look forward to your column every week. I'm not often engaged by magazine and online editorial, but this morning was really excited when I remembered Fader would have published your latest ramblings over night. Ramblings implies an incoherence, so perhaps that is the wrong word to use. But what I most enjoy about your column is its looseness. Journalists who review albums by describing technical structures and stressing compositional details bore me. I want to know how music pushes people to consider and reconsider their world, and what someone daydreams when they listen to a piece of music.

I manage a record label called Spunk. I think you'd really like some of the music on the label. Holly Throsby got a 4 star review in Mojo this month. Not that I read Mojo. But it's a huge thing for an independent from Sydney. We're so far away from the rest of the world. It is such a long way. I was in New York in January and I fell in love with Brooklyn. I want to come back for CMJ, but there is always so much work that needs to be done, and it's not like I can take a weekend vacation and be back for Monday morning. There is some great things happening in Sydney at the moment though. Last night Brian Eno curated a light show which was projected on to the Opera House for a festival called Vivid Sydney. It was pretty cool.

Michaella

No comments: