Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sydney Festival 2009



In January this year, I took my parents to the opening of the Sydney Festival - Festival First Night. We watched my ex-boyfriend host the Fuzzy stage in front of thousands, sung along to Beach Boy Brian Wilson in The Domain, and then danced to Spankrock in Martin Place.

My mum still talks about that Spankrock show, she absolutely loved them. In fact, I went to my parent's house for dinner on Tuesday night and they were listening to yoyoyoyoyo when I arrived. Not a lie. Bump was playing and mum turned to me and said "I love this band!"

This year Grace Jones, Santogold and A-Trak are among the Festival First line up, with more announcements due in the upcoming weeks. The official launch party is tonight and media take the first announcement of the line up to press tomorrow morning (ooop, scooop)

My two favourite venues of the festival, The Becks Bar and The Spielegtent, have equally stellar line ups, the out door Becks bar hosting Buraka Som Sistema, Daedelus (at the Mad Racket night - always a highlight!), Fourtet, Holy Ghost, Metronomy and loads of others - see the full line up here. As I'd expected Bill Callahagn is back for shows at the Tent again, but this time without Joanna, and Bon Iver is also performing, in Australia for the very first time. It's a truly exquisite venue, intimate and breathtakingly beautiful. Full details here.

I am in NYC for most of the festival, but might be home in time for some of the final performances late January. All depends on what NYC can serve me! Don't know it'll be as good as Daedelus under a balmy Sydney twilight with some of my favourite people dancing beside me... but you never know...

All tickets on sale 9am Monday, Nov 10, through ticketek and the festival website sydneyfestival.org.au (be quick, they ALWAYS sell out early)

No comments: