Sunday, November 23, 2008

Friendly Fires

I have been sick with some killer flu virus for a week and I am so bored I could cry. I've been going to sleep, waking up to go to work, coming home from work to eat dinner, and climbing back into bed and going back to sleep. Now Sunday, this weekend has been spent in bed watching The Wire, catching up on past eps of Ugly Betty, and reading the newspapers.

Bored and lonely, I put my itunes on random in the hopes of inspiring an mp3 renaissance, and rediscovering something that'd leave me smiling for the rest of the afternoon.

I forgot how much I liked this cover

'I'm Good, I'm Gone' Friendly Fires cover Mp3 [z share]

Both bands are featuring it on their Myspace after Friendly Fires toured with Li through America.

I've often waxed lyrical of my adoration for Lykke Li, but I also really like Friendly Fires. Unfortunately, their record was released around the same time as Walter Meego, Late Of The Pier and Metronomy in Australia, and as a result those discs were paid much more attention that FF debut self-titled. Theirs is a record that I can listen to every day, and have been since I received it in September. Disco hooks, cowbell, 00s pop rhythms, moments of Detroit tech house, harmonised choruses, kick drums, and ambient breaks executed with precision, undeniable talent, and egos aside.

Listen to this tune, and there is no way you can deny the disco shoulder shake

'On Board' Friendly Fires Mp3 [z share]

They are about to perform a few shows with Foals (which is a great fit for them) and all their upcoming tour dates from now until Feb are at their myspace

Buy Friendly Fires from iTunes here or from their website wearefriendlyfires.com

Lykke Li news? She is touring through the UK currently, and on AUS shores in December for the Falls Festival and shows in Melbourne (Sunday 4th January at the Prince Bandroom - tickets from the Prince website) and Sydney (Monday 5th January, at Oxford Art Factory - tickets from Moshtix)

No comments: